If we talk about the experience of the solo travelers, there might be mixed responses. But there is always a positive response from those travelers who follow simple tips and incorporate the same to make their travel experience the most blissful one. Travelling alone is not only important to gain a lifetime experience but also to spend some quality time with yourself. Here are top 20 tips for solo travelers in India.
1. Advance Planning: Do not get into making detailed planning, but plan your first-day stay well. Ensure confirmed advance booking of the hotel room before you leave.
2. Light Packing: Pack only those that are manageable for you. If you pack your stuff smartly, a suitcase, one carry-on and a backpack would be enough for your trip of a week or more.
3. Arrival during the Day: If possible make sure you arrive at the new city during the day time. As it would be an advantage for you to browse through the lanes.
4. Mix with Others: While travelling, make short term friends. Interact with other travelers that you meet at the hotel. Also exchange travel advice.
5. Interact With Locals: Communicate with locals and make sure you learn some of the common phrases in the local language like ‘hello’, ‘thank you’, ‘sorry’, etc. This would help in making an impression and start communication.
6. Excursion: Do not lock yourself in the hotel room. Travel yourself. Plan an excursion and explore the lanes of the city and popular attractions by yourself. Travelling yourself will make you learn about tipping, local transportation, etc.
7. Be Frank: Be confident enough while starting any communication with strangers. A smile is one of the best and simple ways to start conversation. Do not hesitate in questioning.
8. Enjoy Yourself: In the evening, make sure you visit the hotspots of the city to enjoy the nightlife. Parties at bars and pubs, live concerts, etc., are some of the activities that you can enjoy being solo.
9. Do Not Starve: Do not hesitate to dine alone. You may also ask the locals dining there to place an order for you and thereon you may start a conversation.
10. Take Courses: If your travel trip involves longer duration at one place, take up some courses to keep yourself engaged. At the same time, you will also learn and get to know new people.
11. Get Out of The Way: Looking for travelers with some of the same interest? Travel through the lanes that are not so popular. There you will surely find few tourists. Lesser the number more is the probability of interaction.
12. Enjoy Well Organized Tours: If planning a long trip, make sure you choose from a well-organized tour. You will enjoy a stress free trip as all the arrangements would be made by the tour operator or agent.
13. Carry The Essentials: Make a list of all essentials that you need to carry along and make sure you do not skip any while packing. Keep a copy of important contact numbers and important documents as that could help you in case of emergency.
14. Keep Important Documents In One Place: Keep all the originals of the essential documents at one place safely. This would reduce the hassle while you travel.
15. Click Self Photos: Take interest in clicking some pictures of the area around and also by yourself. Your friends would be waiting eagerly to see your trip photos.
16. Carry Unlocked Cell Phone: This is one tip that would save you a lot of money. Carry an unlocked cell phone as this would reduce the cost of buying a new cell phone even time you change the region. You will only need to change the SIM card and that are available at nominal charges.
17. Skype: This is one application which is supportive to cellphones. This would help you to get connected with your family and friends through video calls. This is absolutely free only if you have internet access.
18. Other Useful Apps: Make sure you download some of the essential applications to your phone like currency convertor, GPS, travel guides and much more. These would prove to be a great help while you travel.
19. Head off Dark Alleys: Travelling in a public area is always better and safer than travelling in place that is regarded as private or abandoned place.
20. Believe Your Instinct: Be alert and keep a close watch on what is going around. Do not ignore your inner voice. If you find something wrong, do not proceed with it.
To make your stay luxurious, explore Top 10 Luxury Hotels in India.